Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Going behind the scenes: July 22nd

Littleone (right) and Squeak (left) doing a little cuddle.

I've decided I'd like to have more to blog about than the artists I showcase on Fridays. So every few weeks I'm going to take you behind the scenes, and show you what I'm working on, why I'm doing it and the nitty gritty of working at home.

Today is July 22nd, and it's been a gruelling month. We've had a very hot month of July, with very little respite from the heat. I've recently bought an air conditioner, because quite frankly, I broke! :) My studio work space is technically my dining room, and on a hot day, the inside temperature can climb as high as 30ºC (or 86ºF), plus humidity! My poor kitties were suffering most, so this was a good investment. Plus, I can deduct it as a business expense!

However, because I spent half the month barely working from all the heat, my production levels have suffered greatly. I haven't had a chance to add to my own personal inventory since I got all those new stores. That was 2 1/2 months ago! I've been currently working on new stock for some local shops. Some want new monsters, others refreshed stock from the spring.

I've had a new helper friend coming on Sundays, which is great. He's been doing a lot of fabric cutting for me. He's been adding to my body count! LOL  Sounds so gangster! I have these pretty pine boxes I bought at IKEA when I got my new shelf with all the furs. They're great for keeping my monster bodies. I've taped an inventory list, so I can keep track of how many are cut.



Here's a few photos of what's going to stores here in Montreal! :) Perfide, Tah-Dah, and Galerie Zone Orange are getting more monsters!


Also, Perfide & Tah-Dah! are going to be getting key chain monsters, and cell phone sleeves (no photo, sorry) very soon as well! Yay!


Someday soon I'm going to have to get cracking on my wooden magnets. I really want to have them ready by August 18th, for the NDG Art Rage craft fair, and especially for Comiccon in September!



I'm also offering a new product in my online shop right now. It's your favourite monster appliquéd on a canvas tote bag! I'd love to do some right now, except that I never know what people will like, and I've learned that it's not good business to put all your money into inventory, especially if it's a brand new product. I've learned this lesson with previous plush toys I've made. I've also received some comments that one girl in the UK is doing a similar project with her own monsters, and she says they sell well in craft fairs, but not so well online. That's why my listing is to create your own. You choose your favourite monster, and I will add it to a bag. That way there's no loss of business money, and I won't be stuck with a product no one wants. :)

Speaking of my store, have you all checked it out lately? I've redesigned it! Big Cartel implemented a new theme 3 months ago, and although I loved it, I was scared to make it my own. Well, a few days ago I decided this is nicer and cleaner than what I had before. 



And lastly, this is the newest add to my home. This is a very lovely plant, it's an aroid. I once saw this plant in an office building, and thought it was plastic. When I was at IKEA, I saw it, and I knew I just had to have it! It's even growing new shoots so quickly. Littleone got curious when I put it within his reach. You can see his cute face peeking between the leaves. :)



I hope that I can entertain my readers! Let me know what you think of this new series. If you like the idea of behind the scenes, then I'll make it a point of doing it at least twice a month. I've just been so busy with all the production I've had to do, I feel I've been neglecting my blog. Do you have any other suggestions for posts you'd like to read about?

PS: If you're a blogger or artist, and would like to be featured on my Funky Friday Favorites, let me know by sending me an email! :)

9 comments:

  1. I like this behind the scenes look =D Whats been up, in process, and to come - kinda makes me feel special (is that weird?) lol Love the pics of your pretty kitty's!!! My Pooka would be chomping down on your plant LOL I have to keep all of my plants out of her reach.

    Since your planning on doing this series twice a month why not feature your cats the other two weeks? I'm totally a crazy cat lady - a proud one too ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Iesadora! I'll think about that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melanie,

    I really like this idea! Its great and I really like knowning what some of my favorite crafters are up too. Makes me kinda feel included in something really awesome, even tho you post it all to the world. Haha. Does that make sense?

    I must buy one of your keychains when I get back to the states. that will make 3 of your creations that I will own. You are super talented and I love my Girl Skully and Puffy.

    Have a great day.

    <3 Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're awesome! Thanks! :)

      Delete
    2. Jenn that makes total sense! I couldn't figure out a way to word it, but that's how I feel too!

      Delete
  4. Love it! Everybody wants to know what people are up to behind-the-scenes. People are always curious. Glad you bought an air conditioner, poor kitties.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your shop looks so good! I loooove the tote bags! That purple/pink monster with yellow horns is one of my favorites and when I saw it on the tote bag I was like omg! Waaaant! lol! I also love your keychains! I have a plush keychain that's been on my keys since 2007 when I bought it on Etsy. It looks like hell now but I love it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! That website has hours and hours of work put into it! Maybe you'll buy a tote bag? :)

      Delete